Who would have predicted a decade ago that now having video calls would be the new normal? Yes, the changing times have forced everyone to remove face-to-face meetings and implement more of these virtual meetings. A decade ago, video calls were of extremely poor quality, with lagging screens and dropped frames.
But see, how it has been transformed completely. You can easily enjoy high-speed video calls with all of the necessary tools. It has found its application in both casual and business purposes. And there is no denying the fact that video calling will continue from now on (since the new normal has shifted the way that the world used to work).
So, it is very pivotal for the users to get updated with the best video calling solutions that can aid in their purposes. Therefore, in our blog of the day, we would be discussing in detail the top 10 video calling apps for the Android world in the year 2020.
The basic tools
Before moving forward, it is quite important to have a fair understanding of the different tools that can be used under a video calling app. With this, you get the options for both audio and video calls (that can be selected as per your available bandwidth).
Additionally, a majority of the video calling apps allow a minimum of 6 persons in a single call and it can go to triple digits also (based on the fame of the software). In the case of adding very large groups of people, you can also go for a live streaming feature.
Top 10 Video Calling Apps for Android for 2021
This list has been compiled after careful consideration of the reviews given by the users in 2020.
When it comes to going for the best video calling app, nearly everyone has recommended the name of Zoom. It is widely popular for being an all-round video chat and conferencing app to be used for business meets personal calls or live streaming for online shows.
Some of its classy features include the following:
- Multi-device support in the forms of software’s for PC and laptops and apps for mobile devices (both Android and iOS).
- Screen sharing, live annotations, voice modules, chat support, and other similar tools to aid in the smooth conduction of the video calls.
- End to end encryption to secure the discussions held during any meeting and ensure the privacy of the users.
- Pro mode for business tier meetings to allow up to 100 people in one call and provide other features specific to the license holders.
In the initial days, there were some security lapses reported for the app. By now, those have been resolved and the developers are working towards regular updates on these.
Zoom App : Download
The next one on the list is Skype, which is a brainchild from Microsoft. It has been running in the field of video conferencing for a pretty long time and has established its name in the genre. Its 50 person limit and support to multiple devices are just some of the first things that come to mind.
The other classy features include the following:
- A comprehensive solution is also providing international calling and texting to the people who cannot access the video calling features.
- Perfect screen sharing with friends and family to showcase beautiful moments.
- Live translation and transcription to support the audio or video during the conference call.
- Paid version for businesses to conduct their calls smoothly (which has been renamed as Microsoft Teams today).
Thus, the app is perfect in the free version if you are using it just to chat for personal reasons. In case of business purposes, you may think of switching to its Teams edition to enjoy the seamless video and audio support.
Google Duo : Free Video Calling App
The next favorite app amongst Android users is Google Duo. In the recent launches of the Android models, this is pre-installed and only needs to be updated before beginning with the use. A brainchild of Google, it is very easy to use and enhances the accessibility of the devices.
The classy features include the following:
- Option to record and send video messages to the contacts in case of their offline status.
- 32 person limit for the pro users and 8 persons for free users, to easily cater to their requirements.
- In-app purchases of different stickers and emoji’s to personalize the content shared with the people.
- Knock-knock feature to provide a live preview of the caller before receiving the call.
Hence, it would be another effortless tool for Android users.
Another app that has been in the Android world for a significant time is Viber. Apart from Android, it is known to have its support on even iOS devices and the other OS that is no longer in use. Some of its classy features include the following:
- Secure communications between the users and encrypts the texts, calls, and chats only between the users.
- User-friendly interface that can be accessed easily by the users and does not require any support for the understanding.
- Allows gaming with the call to make the overall event a fun one.
It has a limitation in the number of people who can be under one call and thus is suitable for only one-on-one communication.
If the gamers are looking for solutions to get connected to like-minded ones, then nothing can beat the services of Discord. It is one of the robust apps that can support the Android world and is widely known for the screen share of gaming screens to discuss the overall gameplay.
The striking features include the following:
- Focus on DMs, group chats, and text messages apart from the normal video calling interface.
- Free account allows the streaming till 720p with the maximum number of people at 10.
- The paid version allows going up to 1080p and the number extended to 50.
- Live built-in streaming service to project the gaming screen directly without having to physically close the game.
Thus, the app is perfect only for Android users who are into regular gaming schedules.
How can you forget the multi-functional messaging and calling solution that is a mandatory thing in all of the Android devices. Whatsapp has come all the way down from being a simple messaging service to the one that supports audio and video calling.
The following are some of the classy features of the app:
- Improvisation in the quality of the video calls can be beneficial for the users.
- End to end encryption for only the ones attending the calls.
- The fast solution in connecting for audio or video connects even in low bandwidth of the internet.
- Free app with no requirement of in-app purchases.
Another update in the pipeline is that the users can add themselves to the group calls in cases when they miss those and have not to rely upon others to manually add them.
Another of Google’s brainchild in the list of preferred video calling apps for Android is Google Hangouts. It has been there in the world for a significant time and has made its position with regular updates and features. The cross-functional support has made the usage very seamless.
The classy features include the following:
- Straightforward calling feature where you simply need to hit on the video button to initiate the call with your near ones.
- Encrypted video calls, thanks to the support of Google.
- GIFs, stickers, and emoji’s to enhance the personalization of the messages from the users.
- Free app and yet does not display any ads during the usage.
JusTalk is one of the lesser-known platforms on Android and yet it offers good solutions when it comes to video calling someone. The features include the following:
- Customization of the app with themes and keyboard styles as per the requirements.
- Feature of doodling in between the video calls to make the overall experience a fun one.
- Free application with in-app purchases for emoji’s and themes.
- End-to-end encryption of the calls.
- Multi-platform support and thus enhances the compatibility to the different users.
You can give it a shot, as it matches the decent requirements of the functionalities of video calling.
The line is another of the Android apps that offer support of audio and video calling beyond the simple messaging interface. With about 500 million users currently, it ensures a higher quality of the calls despite being free for everyone. Some of its well-known features include the following:
- Addition of filters during the video calls to make them more personalized.
- Cross-functional support with the app being accessible from mobiles and PCs.
- Easy sharing of emojis, texts, photos, and videos amongst each other.
- Certain in-app purchases for more themes for interested users.
The last one on the list is Facebook Messenger. Being a trendy tool, it is found pre-installed in several Android models released in recent times. Apart from the simple sharing of DMs, you can easily use it to connect on videos. Just go to the individual’s profile and hit on the video option.
The app also allows the usage of emoji’s, GIFs, and other funny tools to personalize the conversation. The texts stay on the chat for longer durations and you can easily export them for future references.
With this, we conclude on our list for the best. Just think about the purpose of your calls and then the required selection would become quite effortless. Let us know your queries in the comments section. Till then, stay safe and keep subscribed to our channel for more of such blogs.