The password you use to log in to your Chromebook is the same that you use to log in to your Gmail and Google account on one or multiple devices. Like most other passwords, you are required to change it frequently. It might be because you have forgotten your old password, or need to change it for security purposes. Here, we walk you through various ways of changing the password of your Chromebook. Read on!
Changing the Chromebook Password From the Chrome Browser Window
Before you change the password of your Chromebook, you must note that it would change your Google account password. Hence, after this step, you would be asked to log in with your new password in all other devices where you are using your Google account.
Now, for changing the password from the Google Chrome browser:
- Fire up your Chromebook and launch the Chrome Browser.
- Click on your profile icon or photo at the upper right corner and select Google Account or Manage Google Account from the new pop-up window.
- Now click on Security in the left pane.
- Now scroll down the new window to the Signing in to Google Section and click on ‘Password.’
- You will be required to put in your current password in the new window and then click Next.
- Confirm it with your two-factor authentication code.
- A new window will appear where you can type your new password and confirm it. The password selected must be strong.
- Now select Change Password.
A pop-up screen will appear that would be informing you of being signed out of your Google account on other devices. You will not be logged out of your Chromebook if you have selected the option to remain signed in. Finally, click on OK.
The password change has been completed.
Locking and Unlocking Your Chromebook
Sometimes you need to leave your Chromebook powered on and unattended. In those circumstances, you would like to leave it locked so that others cannot access it. You can do so if you set your Google account to open with a PIN. The steps to add a PIN to your Google account, follow the following steps:
- Power-on your Chromebook and click on the Time tab. It would be at the bottom right corner of your desktop screen.
- Click on the gear icon to open a new window.
- Now click on the option, People located in the left pane of the new window.
- New options would appear on the right pane. Click on ‘Select lock and sign-in.’
- When prompted, enter your Google password and click on Confirm.
- In the new window, select ‘PIN or Password.’ Now select Set Up PIN.
- Enter a PIN of your choice, but it should be six digits long.
- Select on Continue and then Confirm.
You are now ready to unlock your Chromebook using your PIN whenever it goes to Sleep Mode. It must be noted here that if you wish to use this facility, you would need to enter your Google password once every 24 hours to keep using the PIN on the Chromebook.
How to Reset a Forgotten Chromebook Password
Sometimes you have forgotten your Chromebook password, and it has locked out. In that scenario, you can reset the password by your Google Account password from any other device. Since it is the same as your Chromebook password, you would be able to reset it. For it:
- Open the Chrome Browser and navigate to the Google Account Recovery Page.
- Click on ‘I don’t know my password.’
- You would be asked to enter the email address that you used to sign in to the Chromebook.
- After entering the email, click on Continue. ‘
- Follow the on-screen instruction that is usually to click on the link you received on your email.
- Click on that link after opening your email and reset the password.
- You would now be able to login with the new password in your Chromebook.
Sometimes, the method does not work in some Chromebooks. They would ask for your old password to log in. Once logged-in, the Chromebook and the Google account will sync. Post it; you will be able to use your new password. In such a situation, the only way out would be to powerwash the Chromebook and reset it to its original factory settings.
If you wish to turn the password requirement off, browse to the ‘Screen lock and sign-in’ option under the Settings Menu and eliminate the need of password by checking the ‘Show lock-screen when walking from Sleep’ choice. It is less secure but more comfortable if nobody else tries to access your Chromebook.
We hope that now you would be able to rest your Chromebook password without any issues. Do get back to us for any queries, feedback, or suggestions. And do whisper about this write-up and share it with anybody who would find this information helpful.